SeeByte, a global market leader in the development of smart software for unmanned maritime systems, are looking to recruit an IT Engineer to work with our Edinburgh office team. This is a fantastic opportunity to work for an innovative and forward thinking company with an international client base.
- Competitive salary and shared employee / employer contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and travel compensation scheme
- Flexible working hours policy
- Travel season ticket loan
- Annual company day out
- Online certified training courses and in-house technology training
- Offices in the center of Edinburgh, a great city to live and work in!
- Save money on your commute as SeeByte participates in the Cycle to Work scheme
Main Purpose of the Role
The successful candidate will become part of the in-house SeeByte IT team, responsible for deploying, securing and maintaining all aspects of the SeeByte IT estate. You will also work directly with SeeByte software engineers to assist with their day-to-day IT requirements and issues, ensuring that they have the tools necessary to allow SeeByte to meet their software delivery goals.
The nature of our business means that operational security is a high priority throughout the organisation so the ideal candidate will be someone with knowledge and experience of secure systems administration principles or who possesses a strong interest in developing themselves further in this field.
SeeByte is a multi-vendor company with an emphasis on Linux and Open Source software and technology. You will have the opportunity to assess, prototype and deploy a variety of new IT technology to meet SeeByte’s expanding IT requirements, where your input on how technology can be best used to meet business needs will be strongly encouraged.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate good technical proficiency within the following areas:
- Good understanding of IT security principles and best practices with working knowledge of common security management techniques such as Virtual Private Networks, Encryption, Anti-malware, Intrusion Detection and Access Control.
- Proficient with the administration of Ubuntu or other Debian based operating systems.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking and common protocols (e.g DHCP, DNS, HTTP, SSL/TLS).
- Competence with Windows administration, particularly Windows 10 and Windows Server and associated technologies such as Active Directory and Group Policy.
- An understanding of business risk and how it relates to IT operations.
- 2 years minimum of commercial experience
Experience with the following technologies is desirable but not essential:
- Virtualisation technologies (e.g. Proxmox VE, KVM/QEMU, VirtualBox)
- Firewall configuration and management
- Network configuration and using troubleshooting tools such as Wireshark and Nmap
- The ability to write scripts to automate common tasks using a language such as Bash, Python or Perl.
- Common authentication protocols (e.g. LDAP, Kerberos, 802.1X)
- Common web service components (e.g. LAMP stack)
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- A willingness to learn new technologies and continually develop their IT skills.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving abilities with an eye for detail and persistence to resolve challenging issues.
- Work as part of a team and communicate effectively and professionally with people at all levels across the business.
- The ability to write clear and concise documentation for both a technical and non-technical audience.
- Be able to prioritise and manage your own workload.
To apply please send a recent copy of your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the nature of the work associated with this post it is subject to special nationality rules and is open only to British Nationals. All offers of employment will be conditional to a satisfactory background check.
NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES